We propose to launch TurkiyeDAO on the Power Protocol platform as a nonprofit DAO dedicated to supporting the humanitarian crisis caused by the Kahramanmaras earthquake in Turkiye.
TurkiyeDAO has already supported this cause by sending 2 trucks with more than 2 tons of food and 10,000 packages of sanitary equipment, and 500 blankets and blanket jackets. This has been given as emergency aid to support the very basics of life. This has been supported by the Waves community through donations which have been transparently documented and published.
As the most acute humanitarian need has been resolved, the focus is shifting towards rebuilding the infrastructure in the effected areas.According to estimates the earthquake destroyed completely 72 schools, and damaged more than 2500 schools. As the total cost of repairs is estimated at approximately 2 billion EUR, the need for ensuring that the educational system in the area continues to operate has never been more prevalent. The long term goal of TürkiyeDAO is to help rebuild schools.
Our goal is ultimately to raise funds and use those funds to rebuild schools. This requires both an operational and financial focus both in the local Turkish and international levels. In order to have the right operational framework TurkiyeDAO partnered together with Istanbul Philharmonic Society to facilitate the fundraising and operations in Turkiye. IPS is a society for public benefit that is audited yearly by the Turkish government, which allows our benefactors to be sure that the usage of funds is transparent and done as is intended. Additionally, we have begun the organization of concerts together with IPS to generate awareness of our efforts. This allows us to both support local Turkish musicians and and present ourselves to domestic and international supporters.
TurkiyeDAO chose PowerDAO as the financial framework that allows us to transparently collect funds, and distribute the proof of used funds to the donors. In more detail, the allocation of funds will be done through tenders, where different service and construction providers may submit their proposals. The staking PWR token holders together with the TurkiyeDAO governance committee will together decide what is the best tender offer to accept. The TurkiyeDAO governance committee will be responsible for the allocation of funds, and the documentation on the usage of those funds to the donors. The governance committee consists of the following members:
- Ekin Tuna
- Sasha Ivanov
TurkiyeDAO operates through a system in which power tokens are minted by the Mother DAO. These power tokens are divided into two parts: half of them are directly assigned to the decision makers of the Turkey DAO and staked within the DAO itself, while the other half is set aside for rewards.
The allocation of power tokens to decision makers is not done all at once. Instead, new decision makers have the opportunity to join the DAO during its operation. This means that not all power tokens are distributed to decision makers immediately upon the DAO’s inception.
If the activity of the DAO is deemed successful, the decision makers become eligible to receive rewards. These rewards are granted based on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), which are measured on an annual basis. The decision makers who have staked their power tokens and actively participated in the DAO’s activities can potentially earn these rewards as an acknowledgment of their contributions to the DAO’s success.
- March 2023: Send 2 trucks of relief goods to the area - COMPLETED
- April 2023: Establish presence and operational framework through a local partner - COMPLETED
- May 2023: Organize the first concert to support local musicians and generate awareness in the Turkish and international communities. Concert is free to participants and hosted for 2600+ visitors.
- August-September 2023: Organize a fundraising concert for 4000+ participants with an internationally recognized headliner in Istanbul.
- December 2023: Close the fundraising for the first school, and raise $1M+ in funds.
The collected funds will be used to support 2 overall goals:
- Generate awareness of TurkieDAO
- Raise funds for the schools to be built
TurkiyeDAO will do the following activities to materialize these goals:
- Social media and general media coverage. We will work to gain exposure both in traditional news and social media through marketing campaigns and partnerships.
- Organizing concerts with known headliners where the ticket sale profits and headline sponsor packages will contribute towards building schools.
- Organizing a dedicated fundraising team that reaches out to companies in the crypto space and outside to support the school building with donations.
All spent funds will be decided according to the outlined governance process and documented for the community to see transparently.
The ultimate goal of TurkiyeDAO is to support to the affected areas in terms of built schools, aid sent, etc. As this metric is a bit difficult to quantify we use the below proxy metrics to determine if we are making progress.
The following metrics will be used to evaluate the success of TurkiyeDAO:
- Raised funds: our goal for 2023 is $1,000,000.
- Participants in events: Our goal for 2023 is 15,000 people participating in our events
- Awareness generated: Our goal is to reach 2M+ people with our message in 2023
- Individual donors: Our goal is to have 1,000+ individual donors in 2023
TurkiyeDAO will offer humanitarian assistance and development to support the areas effected by the Kahramanmaras earthquake. We do this because we believe that it is not only important to be a part of the crypto community, but also of the global community. With more than 100,000 people perished we wish to do our own part in alleviating the suffering and supporting the local education.
If you wish to contribute to the TurkiyeDAO as a partner or a member please contract us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And remember to check out our website at: https://www.turkiyedao.tech/